Thursday, April 5, 2012

Acrylic Work



Last month I completed a slime mold/fungi-inspired abstract work using acrylic paint and glitter.  Though I was pleased with the result I was frustrated with the paint.  I used molding paste by Golden to make the shapes more three-dimensional.  The problem was applying the paste with a brush.  I really struggled to form the shapes smoothly. 

I consulted a friend who is an acrylic master, who suggested cake decorating bags and tips.  Why didn’t I think of that?  After a trip to Michael’s Art Supplies I’m armed with my tools.  I’m a little nervous about trying them.  I guess I’m just afraid of failure.  Check back with my blog for updates.  I think I’m going to have a lot of fun!

Below are images of stage one and two of a painting I’m working on.  It’s an abstraction of a type of lichen.  In the first photo you’ll see the molding paste (under-painting), and in the second photo the painting I did over it.  I’m not happy at all because the paste is so lumpy and uneven.  I plan to use my new pastry decorating tools on this painting first.  Can I fix it?  We’ll see.

Stage 1 (Molding Paste Under-Painting)
Stage 2


No comments:

Post a Comment